Project: Magombera Nature Reserve
Deadline: 24thJune 2019 (midday)
Magombera Nature Reserve is a newly designated protected area, located in the Kilombero Valley, Morogoro Region. It is currently managed by the Tanzania Forest Conservation Group in partnership with Reforest Africa, Tanzania Forest Services Agency, Rainforest Trust (USA), Flamingo Land Ltd. (UK) and the University of York (UK). The aim of the 3 year project is to develop and implement a management plan for the new reserve, that will better protect the forest through participatory approaches to improve forest health, village livelihoods, and local infrastructure for forest restoration, tourism and other revenue generation. Above all, we are seeking a well-organised and friendly person who would work well with our field team and local NGO, government, village and tourism partners.The position will be based in Kilombero District under funding from the Rainforest Trust.
Objectives / main job function
The Assistant will assist the Magombera Nature Reserve Manager with co-ordination of all aspects of the Magombera Nature Reserve management and reporting to the Project Director.
The Assistant is responsible for assisting the implementation of all objectives and activities under the following partnership agreement with the Rainforest Trust:
19-TZ-01 Developing the Magombera Nature Forest Reserve to benefit people and biodiversity
The work will include:
- Assist in management of eleven staff plus other casual labourers working in the Magombera Forest and nearby villages, including facilitation of environmental education, forest management, sustainability planning and gathering data to measure conservation success.
- Assist in the maintenance of project office and vehicles, and update project databases, financial accounts and make brief monthly progress reports.
- Assist in the maintenance of good working relationships with project partners including landowners, village committees, researchers, district government, NGOs and donors.
- Assist with all required reporting and financial accounting.
- Occasional assistance guiding tourists and other visitors around the Nature Reserve.
- Any other tasks as required by the Nature Reserve Manager or Project Director.
Application and Further Information
Download the full Position Description and Selection Criteria here – TFCG_JobDesc_MagomberaANRM_June2019.
- Applications by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please supply a cv (including telephone number), diploma or certificate module grades, covering letter (including a direct response to each of the Selection Criteria), and telephone, postal and e-mail contacts for two referees, including at least one relevant to forest management.
- More information on the project and Magombera Nature Reserve can be found at www.reforestafrica.com, www.tfcg.org, and on Facebook (@Magombera, @UdzungwaForestProject) and Twitter (@ReforestAfr, @UdzungwaFP).